04 May 2008

It's done!

And it only took 17 days.

Cozy V-Neck Sweater (again) by Stefanie from Fitted Knits. Because it's for my mom, I didn't do as much ribbing as the pattern called for on the sleeves and body. For the size large (43") I used seven skeins of Needful Yarns Bambini Soft (SO SOFT) color 2021 (medium heathered blue) and US 8 and US 10 Addi Turbos. The sweater is currently drying and hopefully it will fit. Knitting for people who live on the opposite side of the country is nerve-wracking.

It amuses me that it took me nearly a year to knit this sweater for me, and then just more than two weeks to knit one for my mom. Nothing like the pressure of a national holiday to get a knitter moving. Also, I'll be in Vegas for the next four days at a convention for work. Good times. (Not really.) I will have to get this in the mail first thing when I get back on Thursday if I want it to be in California on Saturday. Maybe I'll have the mail room ship it UPS or FedEx or whatever.

I'm all packed up for my trip, except for my knitting. (I have packed three pairs of black shoes. Does this seem excessive to anyone else?) I am desperately trying to convince myself that I need to start a Father's Day sock, to offset the Mother's Day sweater, but this hopped into my bag on Friday afternoon:

It's Knitty Bits 2 sock yarn from Two Windows Dye Co. in Hutchinson, Kan. MisKnits is the EXCLUSIVE Kansas City distributor of Two Windows yarn. This is nice stuff — I cast on a sock on Friday night (and maybe bought some new needles, because you can never have too many sets of US 0 DPNs) and even though I ripped out the toe I started, I think it's nice stuff. It has a great twist to it.

The real reason I ripped out the sock toe:

I am still deeply taken with these socks, because they are just striping so wonderfully. Even when I somehow ended up with extra stitches on the second sock (don't ask) the yarn still didn't pool or flash much.

OK. I am going to cast on socks for dad. Wish me luck and patience. Hopefully I will have lots of progress done when I get back.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! you really moved along on that sweater! I'm impressed.

Trixie said...

Yes three pairs of black shoes is a lot, but I do think that you should take both sock projects. :) Be safe on your trip and we'll see you when you get back.

bbstewart said...

The sweater looks great! You can never have too many pairs of good black shoes...or too much sock yarn. Have fun on your trip.