
Tumnus
Originally uploaded by knitjoknit
This knit requires a bit of backstory.
When I was small, my daddy and I had a bit of a tradition that we would read together after dinner. This started before I can remember, with The Sailor Dog and Richard Scarry. I loved our after-dinner, before-bed storytime, and so I was really excited when we switched to "big-kid books" (with chapters) after I learned to read when I was 3 or 4.
The first "big-kid" book we read was The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. We read a chapter after dinner each night, and I was immediately taken with Mr. Tumnus, the faun, who wears a red scarf. By the time we reached the end of the book, I was reading to my dad, instead of the other way around!
So this scarf is an homage to my love of Mr. Tumnus. It's based on the scarf worn by James McAvoy in the Disney version of LWW. Wide, with a slight halo and a subtle rib pattern. The movie version also has fringe. I think it's perfect and wonderful (and it will also match my red hat and mittens.)
I'm using a Brioche rib pattern (super easy!), US 15 needles and Plymouth Baby Alpaca Brush, which is a worsted weight. The Brioche pattern is REALLY STRETCHY, so it's lightweight and warm. I have three skeins, so I'm going to knit up two, cut the fringe for the scarf and then knit until I run out of yarn. Easy peasy.
3 comments:
3 or 4?! Precocious! Incidentally, that was the first "chapter book" I read on my own too - I was so excited. At 8.
Isn't it wonderful to take a childhood "love" and make it into an adult keepsake! Mr. Tumnus would approve!
You have been tagged!
read my blog to fins out the details.
Happy Knitting!
Post a Comment