Because I have way too much time on my hands this week, I've been listening to Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince again. And because I am way obsessive, I have found a glaring inconsistency between this book and the previous books:
Why does Harry, as Quidditch captain, have to hold Quidditch trials when Oliver Wood and Angelina Johnson didn't? Harry has never "tried out" for Seeker — he was handpicked by McGonagall — and we never hear about competition for Fred and George or any of the Chasers. Why? Katie Bell even tells Harry not to just "play the old faces," but to see if there's any new talent. Why does this only become an issue in book 6? Mostly it just struck me as funny, probably because I'm doped and shouldn't be allowed near a computer in this state, but my knitting has been put away for its safety.
At least you got me on this and not on Super Tuesday. (I am so mad I could spit.)
8 comments:
Because we weren't told they didn't hold try outs doesn't mean they didn't.
We know Harry et al. went to the bathroom even if we are never given the details of any of them taking a pee. Except Hermoine, once.... ;)
This is too funny. :-)
HAHAHA...do they pee? Are they fuly plumbed?
Back when DH came out, I listened to all of the books then reread all of them I found a lot of inconsistencies that way. of course I can't remember now, so I guess I'll be re listening to HP over the next month or so. :)
I think they did hold Quidditch trials at one point, didn't they? Besides, it was probably never an issue because the same players just stayed on the team. I got the feeling it was a British thing, not holding tryouts every year, and just having the same players.
There are a lot of inconsistencies.
The "Evening Prophet" showing up conveniently, ONCE, in Book 2, for example.
OK I totally never even caught the "evening prophet" thing. I'm sure they would have written about the trials in earlier books if they had them.
I'm relistening to the books again, since I'd read this post recently I caught it when in the first book Dumbledore announces before that feast that quidich tryouts will be held.... So it looks like they were happening, just not part of the story?
Post a Comment