20 October 2008

Heading home for Christmas.

I finally got all my vacation days hammered out, which means I can take THE WHOLE WEEK of Christmas OFF. I'm leaving for California to see my family (AND MY DOG!) It set me back more than $400.

Please, people, if you can at all avoid flying home to see your family, do it. Take trains, take buses (I hear very good things about Megabus), drive your own car if you must! I would not be taking a plane if I did not have to go halfway across the freakin' country.

But don't fly, because it is stupid and it is expensive, and I'm going to ship my gifts so I don't have to pay extra to check them. Also, the good gifts will be cleverly disguised as knitwear.

Christmas knitting? I should probably get on that.

3 comments:

LizzieK8 said...

Trains and buses cost about as much as flying and take so much time. However, if someone gave me a train ticket to TN, I'd be thrilled!

Gwen said...

My ticket home to St. Louis was $440 for Thanksgiving. I haven't bought my Christmas ticket yet.

Gwen

Anonymous said...

My plane tickets to go home for Thanksgiving are more than twice what it is to fly back and forth any other time of the year.

I'm going home long enough before Christmas to have snagged the tickets at the usual price ($300 roundtrip), but it's another $300 to bring my cat. And it's for three weeks, so I can't board her that long. Delta has raised their prices from $75 each way to fly with an animal to $150 each way within the past year. That's absolutely ridiculous, and if I had another option, I'd take it in a heartbeat.