29 April 2008

Summer plans.

Aw, you guys! I don't post for nearly a week, and then when I do, I get oodles of comments! I love comments! Comments make me SO happy, you should leave more of them! (Kidding!)

Most of all, I love getting feedback when I have questions or when I'm having trouble making a decision. The overwhelming winner of the "Which sock yarn should I knit next?" was the Noro Kureyon Sock. I probably will end up using the Jaywalker pattern, when I get around to it. Which may not be for a while, because I have a lot on my plate.

I have to:
  1. Finish Mother's Day sweater. I am cruising down the second sleeve and am mildly concerned that I may Run Out Of Yarn. The lovely Amber is holding a ball of my dyelot at the shop, so there are no real worries, just horrible nightmares that cause you to wake up in a cold sweat, screaming that your GAUGE SWATCH LIED TO YOU! (Not that this has ever happened to me, of course, it's a knitter's urban legend. Right);
  2. Finish airy wrap cardi. It's waiting patiently for the second wrap and its sleeves. Then it will be lovely and finished and keep me warm while I wear it over the most horrific bridesmaid dress known to modern times. Thank god there will be an open bar;
  3. Finish Kim Hargreaves sweater ::cough:: that I ::coughcough:: cast on ::cough:: Saturday;
  4. Start (and finish) a pair of socks for Father's Day. You can't very well ply one parent with knitted goods and leave the other out in the proverbial cold. (These will be my Vegas knitting — bamboo needles and a winning smile can get me onto any plane. Not to mention I'll need entertainment on the direct flight from KC to Vegas that's about four hours long. That's a lot of sock knitting time, even for mens' US 12 feet); and,
  5. Finish and/or frog various and sundry socks that have been started and abandoned in favor of whatever wild whim I was feeling that day.
All of these things must be finished before June 20, because I intend to take part in the Summer of Socks. The goal is to knit as many socks as you can between the summer solstice (June 20) and the autumnal equinox (Sept. 22). Summer is a good time to knit socks. Some of my most favorite socks last year were knitted in the summer. Socks are portable, they are light, there is not a lot of gear required to knit socks.

And you can even knit other things during the summer of socks, if it strikes your fancy. I have several summery tops that I want to knit, as well as the socks, and maybe get a jump on a Weasley sweater (which isn't due until November, but I like to be prepared for these things) but mostly the socks. I have a lot of sock yarn, and I'm also looking at the fact that I knitted an real adult sweater (LARGE, for all of you who will want to go on about how I'm a twig, yes, haha, isn't it funny) in about 14 days and feeling pretty darn good about myself as a knitter.

More details on the Summer of Socks will be out on or around May 1. Perfect timing! Because as many commentors voters said, I really ought to knit them all.

So I think I will. I'll be knitting a lot of Jaywalkers this summer.

In non-knitting related news, I went shoe shopping for the second time in as many weeks, and I am weak in the face of shoes and yarn. I am at home, walking on my tip-toes in 4-inch BCBG stilettos. It is where I belong: 5-foot, 7-inches off the ground. None of this 5' 3" garbage.

Hmm, no picture. I bet you want one, huh?

Here's one of my favorites. Takes me back to a time and a country where the only place you could find a cold Dr Pepper was at the patisserie where they sold the most amazing baklava and Yuri was always trying to get my cell phone number. It was a match made in heaven (the Dr Pepper and baklava, not me and Yuri) and I'm surprised my teeth didn't rot out of my skull that summer.

And the can reinforces what I've said to this day: Dr Pepper SOLVES ALL YOUR PROBLEMS.

Just like that. They're gone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have also signed up for summer of socks. You can't beat them for summer knitting -- especially at Boy Scout camp.

Lynn

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for SoS to start!