20 January 2008

It's official.

This is what I was afraid would happen.

Moving on.

I did a fair amount of knitting this weekend. I booked it out of work on Friday to head down to Amber's and sit on my bum and knit for the late afternoon/evening hours before heading back to McDreamy's for pizza and TV-on-DVD, (Scrubs — what else? — and he surprisingly agreed to watch an episode of Pushing Daisies, the best show on TV) during which I got quite a bit of knitting done.

A new hat for my daddy, because it is cold in Northern California (who knew?) and his head is bald. His old hat was made from Lamb's Pride bulky, and I have to say, that isn't a yarn I'd want on my head if I had no hair. So I'm using Skacel Divine (70% baby alpaca, 20% silk and 10% cashmere) and it is YUMMY. I'm making my generic hat pattern on US 7 needles. It's about to the point where I need to make the decreases, but my head is nowhere near the size of my dad's, so I need someone with a melon head to try it on.

The Gathered Pullover from the Winter '07 Interweave. Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool, color 20, US 8 Addi circs. I'm still a couple inches shy of the beginning of the cable pattern, but if you haven't seen the magazine, the sweater is going to go from a heap of stockinette-in-the-round to this:

Except, of course, I'm going to knit a size that actually fits me, as opposed to that poor model who got stuffed into a sweater a couple of inches too small. I've seen photos of the finished sweater on ravelry, and the cablework is supposed to be just below the bust, where it acts as the shaping for the sweater. And I'm adding a bit of length in the body and the sleeves. My gauge is slightly off, so I'm knitting the medium size at 20 sts/4 in instead of 19 sts/4 in for a 34.5-inch sweater instead of a 36.25-inch sweater. (Yes! I did math!)

I'm off to work on the thrummed mitts for a bit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I really want to make a Gathered Pullover but I'm still waffling about how to make it fit well. I'm leaning towards following Eunny's example of adding an extra inch between the motif and the neckline.

I really like that colour, too.