OK, so I've knitted the body and one sleeve of the Weasley sweater. Both have been washed and blocked, and I've pinned the whole mess together while I knit the second sleeve. I need to seam the sleeves and sew them into the (straight) armhole.
So, question: in what order do I assemble these parts? Seam the sleeve, then sew it to the body? Or vice versa?
Let me have it.
3 comments:
Hmmm. Good question. I would seam and make sure they matched well before sewing to the body, but I'm kind of a freak about symmetry (I don't mind asymmetry, but if I'm going to try to match something, it's gotta match all the way). And it would be possible, but harder, to do this the other way. I'd also do seaming first so I could decide which arm's "front" looked better so I could position it on its best side. Of course, all four sides of your sleeves will be gorgeous, so that's a moot point here.
Personally, I prefer to set the sleeve in before sewing the sides or the sleeve seams. I find it easier to manage any easing in (if necessary) when the sewing is flat.
Here's my order:
Join front & back
Do any neck finishing/button bands etc.
Set in sleeves
Sew side & sleeve seams.
Post a Comment