10 September 2008

Weasley!

I finished the Weasley jumper!

(For anyone who doesn't know, "jumper" is the British word for "sweater." I love Brit-speak.)

I used about 4.5 skeins of Harrisville Designs Flax & Wool, color Cranberry, and US 8 Addi circs. Obviously, I chose to avoid a giant initial on the front of the sweater.

This size is kind of a hybrid between the child large and the adult small. The sweater is designed with a lot of positive ease (4 inches) and because I was worried I was going to run out of yarn, I used the stitch count for the adult small and the measurements for the child large. Also, I knitted the body in the round up to the underarms, then split for the front and back. I knitted the sleeves flat and used the bastard child of Kitchener and Mattress stitch to sew them to the body. (My mattress stitch skills are badass, if I do say so myself.) I did have to change yarns for the seams — because my flax/wool blend is a very loosely spun single-ply yarn, it kind of disintegrated when I tried to sew seams with it. So I busted out the leftovers from my Harry Potter scarf (Plymoth Encore in Gryffindor scarlet) and used that. It was the closest I could find in the stash as far as both color and gauge. Overall, I am VERY happy with this sweater.

I am also happy that I have knitting friends who love me.



There were brownies and yarn and it was a SURPRISE! I had so much fun in Chicago that I almost forgot it was my birthday! Those of you who remember my last birthday will remember that it was not so great. But the knitters made it wonderful, and they made it so again.

3 comments:

Bricklyrknitter said...

Your sweater (ahem, JUMPER) came out great! Congrats! Just in time for fall!

mamagotcha said...

Happy birthday, Jo! May the coming year be full of color, with an appropriate blend of softness and sturdiness, woven into bright and beautiful days of joy and laughter!

the Lady said...

Happy Belated! And lovely jumpah!