03 May 2009

Finished object(s)!

I finally got a decent picture of the Greenish Gable.

Specs: Pattern, Green Gable from ZephyrStyle. Size: Small (34 inch). Yarn, Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool, color 20, less then 5 skeins. Needles, US 7 and 5. The only reason I know it was less than 5 skeins is because 5 skeins is all I had, and I have most of at least one skein left. When you knit a sweater from yarn that's already been knitted once, it's not usually in the neatest condition. I got this yarn from Cottage Fiber before it closed, but Amber carries Silky Wool, so she's my supplier of this yarn. I have to say, I think this is my favorite yarn for sweaters. It is warm without being heavy, and it is SOFT. It felts a bit, but that's nothing handwashing can't prevent, and it comes in gorgeous colors.

I had a couple of mods, but only minor ones. I did some extra waist shaping, which you can't really see in the photo, and then I knitted the sleeves to 10 inches before knitting 3 rows of 1x1 ribbing, instead of knitting tiny cap sleeves. I also knitted the body an inch or two longer than the pattern called for, and knitted 6 rows of 1x1 rib at the hem and did a sewn bind off. I think this sweater will be a great piece to have between seasons, because it's very lightweight but still warm. In all, this was a really fast pattern, even after I kind of lost my momentum halfway through. It took me just longer than two weeks to knit.

This sweater is, for me, a great example of knowing when to rip it out. The yarn was originally a Gathered Pullover, and I hated it. It didn't fit right to begin with, and then after I washed and blocked it, it was too big. (GAUGE SWATCHES LIE.) The sweater didn't fit anyone I know, so I frogged it. And now I have this gorgeous sweater, and enough yarn left to make a nice beret or something. Don't be afraid to rip. It seems like a lot of work down the drain, but what's the point of all that work if you never use the item?

I've made my mother a new pair of socks, this time for Mother's Day.

Specs: Pattern, Flame Wave Socks from Favorite Socks. Size: larger (there are instructions for two sizes). Yarn: Cascade Fixation, color 5363, 2 skeins. Needles, US 3 and 4. I did actually knit these top-down, and I have to say, the only thing I really, really dislike about knitting socks top down is kitchenering the toe, which inevitably ends badly. Mostly because I can't count. There are a lot of patterns similar to this written for fingering weight yarn, but I was pleased with how quickly these knitted up with a heavier yarn and larger needles. They have already been washed (and dried!) and they fit a bit large on me, which means they should fit my mama perfectly. I knitted 2.5 pattern repeats before the heel flap, and then 2.5 repeats for the foot (US womens' 8 to 8.5). And because they are cotton, they should be impervious to laundry accidents.

And now, because I am A. selfish and B. fickle, I am starting a new pair of socks, all for me.

6 comments:

Bricklyrknitter said...

Love that sweater! Two weeks??? I have been working on my Rusted Root for... a year now! Nice job :)

Gwen said...

Love the sweater! Love Silky wool too.

Miss you guys!

Gwen

the Lady said...

Sweater looks lovely on you! I agree, ripping saves time in the end. And besides, we all like to knit, so no big deal, right? It makes a yarn purchase even MORE economical!

Anonymous said...

Great sweater.

The socks are very nice. Word of warning regarding those socks. Both pair that I knit from Cascade Fixation shrank over time. I think it was the dryer. The Cascade website says tumble dry cool, so be sure to let you Mom know.

Lynn
Lynn

Dana said...

super cute! I'm going to remember the Silky wool for that pattern.

KERaven said...

The new sweater is all around lovely -- color, fit, drape, pattern, everything!