25 January 2009

So. Freaking. Cold.

It's official, people. I have got to get out of winter before I either A. freeze to death or B. go into automatic hibernation. My constitution is just not built for days and days of bitter cold and wind. I'm starting to think this winter will never end, so I'm searching for a good vacation spot. I'm thinking Key West. At the very least, I am counting down the days to the start of Daylight Savings Time (42) because even if it doesn't get warmer then, there will at least be more sunlight when I am awake.

I'm distracting myself from the agonizing pain of winter by knitting with pretty wool.

The first of the Badcaul socks, finished on Saturday at MisKnits. (The colors are still messed up — I was standing in front of a window in the middle of the afternoon, and the flash still went off.) I was in the middle of doing a sewn bind-off when to my utter shock and surprise, one of my ebony needles SNAPPED. I wasn't even using it for anything. Luckily, the needles come in packages of six. Does anyone know if Lantern Moon has a replacement policy for their needles? They're absolutely lovely and a joy to work with, but to break on the first sock of the pair? Lame.

I also started a new sweater, but as it's only about 9 inches of stockinette and ribbing, I'll spare you for now.

2 comments:

S. said...

I would contact Lantern Moon about the needle. Just about everything yarn does get replaced if you contact them directly and state the problem.

Yuck, cold. Well, it's not exactly warm at the moment in the Bay Area, but it is sunny and a cool place to visit.

Perhaps you should try knee-socks? I've found them essential for the bitter cold. There's even this one outdoor company that makes merino tights. You should get a pair. www.icebreaker.com

Not to sound snarky - but why do you live in Kansas anyway? I'm curious.

the Lady said...

Oh damnit, that was my comment and my boyfriend was logged in.