I have been such a lame-o blogger lately that my blog is not even being used for its primary purpose: cataloging projects, start to finish.
I finished my dad's Christmas socks tonight, but I can only give you an estimate of when I started them (Nov. 19, if you're interested.) Never again will I knit a pair of men's socks on a deadline. US men's size 12 clodhoppers are too much for me to knit under pressure. Maybe next time I'll use a pattern that doesn't bore me into a stupor every time I pick it up. (Note to self: never knit the same pattern twice.)

Pattern specs: Gentleman's Fancy Sock from
Knitting Vintage Socks. I shortened the leg a bit (by two pattern repeats, I think) because I was terrified of running out of yarn. I used US 1 Hiyas and one skein of
Rio de la Plata Sock Multicolor, SP39, in very manly shades of black, brown and blue. I love the muted, barberpole effect this yarn has. I also used one ball of
Patons Kroy in black for the cuffs, heels and toes. I wouldn't have made it without the contrasting yarn, but I do have enough left for mending when the time comes. This is the second pair of Fancy Socks my dad has received, and it will probably be the last.
When I went to Chicago for New Year's, I took a new project with me and finished it on the flight there. Bulky yarn + US 13 needles = instant gratification.

It's another
Chickadee Cowl, this time made to the pattern specifications of huge needles and bulky yarn. I used
Alpaca with a Twist Big Baby that I've had in my stash for forever and a day. The color is Seasprite Green and it's luscious yarn. 100% alpaca that begs to be worn next to the face. I have to admit, I like the variegated one I made better than this one, but this one is longer and so I'll be able to pull it up over my nose and still keep my neck warm. I used every bit of the 88-yard skein — I used a crochet bind-off that uses no yarn.
Yup, no yarn.
So, because I finished my New Year's project so quickly, I had to cast on for something else. Lucky I had something waiting in the wings.

It's my Flat Feet from
AJ, and of course the sock is much further along than it was when this picture was taken. I had a dentist appointment this week and so I had the opportunity to work uninterrupted while waiting for the dentist to come poke at my teeth. (I'm cavity-free, thanks for asking.)
And just to prove that she is NOT an imaginary penguin:

We are both enormus geeks.
1 comment:
What an obvious (after reading!) cast off! Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment