05 June 2011

Killing time with yarn.

I spent all day Thursday and part of Friday at KU Med Center, where Wichita had early-morning surgery. It was a procedure to correct a long-ago back injury, and everything went absolutely perfectly. He wowed the physical and occupational therapists with his mad stair-climbing skillz and ability to dress himself, so he was discharged less than 36 hr after surgery.

He's currently home and resting, and I distracted myself during and after the surgery with the second of the mystery socks. Only one woman in the waiting room asked what I was knitting. It wasn't much more than a toe at the time, so I can't really blame her. It still isn't much more than a toe.

IMG_20110605_190539.jpg

I may have calmed my frazzled nerves on Thursday afternoon with a stop at The Studio, since it's right down the street from the hospital and all, and picked up some cotton yarn for a wee bucket hat for my soon-to-be niece. I chose white, because I figured that would go with the most little outfits, but as I was casting on, it occurred to me that I was knitting a baby gift out of white cotton — clearly my brain was addled from the stress of having Wichita under general anesthesia with his spinal canal open. I'll post a picture once it's more than a strip of white knitting with a picot hem.

2 comments:

Gale Bulkley said...

White is so pretty for tiny little girls. Here's hoping a speedy recovery for Wichita. Thank you, by the way, for your weekend comment.

Christine said...

Get well soon, Wichita!

Purty toe. White hats work on kids, most of the nasty stuff spewing out of them is aimed away from the top of their heads. No worries. Cotton is sturdy and can take the washing. She'll be adorable in it!