14 June 2011

In the nick of time.

The vest that has been hanging over my head for the last 18 months is finally complete and ready to be shipped off to sunny California tomorrow, just in time for arrival the day before Father's Day. He won't be able to wear it for another 6 months or so because it's about 100 degrees in the desert right now, but it's the thought that counts, right?

IMG_20110614_202016.jpg

Rustic Sweater Vest, from the book Closely Knit. Another great pattern from Hannah Fettig, who is my favorite designer at the moment. This is the third pattern of hers I've completed, and it was simply lovely to knit. I have no excuse for why this sweater took me a year and a half to knit, except maybe because it was boring as hell. As much I love knitting stockinette, it's a whole different animal to knit a sweater that measures 50 inches as opposed to my 34-inch sweaters. And this sweater didn't even have sleeves. I realize it's probably premature to say that I will never knit another men's sweater (as well as tempting fate) but I know if I do, it definitely won't be on a US 5 needle.

The yarn is Brown Sheep Superwash sport, in riff blue, a nice slate color. I used about 6 skeins for the size large. Yay for getting this out of the stash!

Now. I thought I had a project for this year's county fair all picked out, but now I'm reconsidering. I am a fickle, fickle knitter.

1 comment:

Gale Bulkley said...

Good work Jo. Sometimes its just cathartic to get a long term project out of the way, even one you're not in love with working on.