I got to see my friend J on New Year's Day and she had a TOTALLY AWESOME gift for me.
Hand-made stitch markers (that she made herself!) and a beautiful necklace from Etsy. A tiny sterling ball of yarn and needles, and a tiny tile with the definition of knit. J and I go all the way back to high school and she is an awesome friend. I was so glad I got to see her while she was home to visit.
My mother sent a pair of socks back to me that have holes in them (of course) and has requested that I repair them. I am not sure how she wears holes in the soles of the heels, but I have already determined that she gets no more 100% merino socks — only wool/nylon blends for her — and clearly I am going to have to start doing some sort of slip-stitch reinforcement on the bottom of the heel or do a carry-along thread for the heels. Any other suggestions?
6 comments:
I do that too - wear holes in the soles of the heel area. I'm not sure what causes it, but I recently realized it, so I'm going to reinforce the soles instead of the back of the heel from now on!
Don't know how to reinforce those heels/soles so they'll last but I sure do love that gift. Great friend!
I love it! The tile marker is cool plus awesome that she made you stitch markers! Good friend.
Lots of my holes come in the bottom of the heels too. I just darn away. I think it's from wandering about with socks and no shoes on...? (and walking on concrete in them is a no no too).
Grumperina had a reinforcing method where she knit the sock normally, then threaded extra yarn through the purl bumps on the inside (kind of like when you weave in a tail, but back & forth across the whole sole of the sock).
Or you could look into those socks with the knit-on soles where you just knit a new sole when the old one wears out.
I have used clear nylon sewing thread and carried it with the yarn while knitting the heel and toe, you could probably use the same concept to reinforce the place where the socks wear out. Cute presents!
Hehehe, I agree those presents are pretty awesome. ;) I finished Pride, Prejudice and Zombies while I was in Houston and now I'm on to my awesome gift, Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters. I have no sock advice, but I am so thankful to have a wonderful friend like you.
Post a Comment