I've been working on my Clapotis and have dropped 3 stitches so far, which brought me to the end of my first skein. I know it's a bit late, but I wanted to thank everyone who replied to my post about the Clapotis-hate I encountered when planning this project. It never occurred to me that there were people out there who would go so far as to publicly share their animosity toward a *pattern.* Sure, lots of people have knitted it, but there is enough variation among knitters that even if two people used the same yarn, their wraps would not come out identical. The pattern is very open to alterations. I do understand that for a long time, the knitting world was super-focused on the Clapotis, but how is that different from the Jaywalker sock pattern (as someone mentioned in the comments)? Or the Calorimetry, or Fetching, or the Monkey socks, or any of the other 95 patterns that come up when searching for the most popular patterns on Ravelry? I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't rain on anyone else's parade, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all, etc. Off soapbox.
Let's see, what else? I had to frog the Rivendell socks when it became apparent that said sock was a tight squeeze over my heel, and that it might be better to knit the leg of the sock on a US 1.5, rather than a US 1.
Just more than 4 days to the new Harry Potter film!
4 comments:
The sweater worked up really cute. I agree, different button might be better. I does match, tho.
Cute sweater! I like the big old button.
As for the anti-Clapotis-sentiments--I went back and read the comments on that post...
And I'm going to jump back on your soapbox for a minute.
I have certainly seen some projects that are not for me, or that I think are completely impractical, or just plain bad taste. (For me, knitted bikinis fall into this category.) But--what good would it do me, or the world of knitting, to form an anti-knitted-bikini group on Ravelry? It would only make me look petty and snobbish.
There is room in the knitting world for knitted bikinis, over-intarsia-d misshapen sweaters, and all manner of items that others might find odd or overexposed. One commenter said that people get tired of having to "nod and smile" in the knitting world. But that implies that positive remarks are expected. How about this: Just Don't Leave A Comment if you don't like the pattern or yarn or item? And if the person requests feedback on an item, give it in the most positive and constructive way possible.
If you don't like Clapotis (or Jaywalker, or Fetching, or Monkeys, or the Central Park Hoodie) don't knit it. But what's the point in bringing down the people who DO legitimately like the pattern? Nobody benefits.
Well, yeah - if you don't have anything nice to say...
OTOH, I personally don't like Jaywalkers, Monkeys, Juliet, the BSJ... I could go on. So you see, for me, the Clap isn't different from those patts - super-popular and I just will never knit it. But I'll be nice about it.
In other words, whether it's food or knitting...don't yuck my yum!
Post a Comment