12 July 2011

Query.

I want to knit the Snicket socks (Ravelry link) but I have a bit of an issue. Involving numbers. Of course.

It's a 6-stitch pattern repeat. I'm using US 1 DPNs, so I cast on my toe and increased to 66 sts. The problem is, I can't center the pattern over the 33 sts on the instep. My options are A. Fudge the instep and work the pattern over 36 sts or B. Tear out the toe I've knitted, start over on a US 0 and increase to 72 sts?

Any input? Anyone? Bueller?

5 comments:

Dana said...

I guess it would depend on what kind of heel you are planning--but I would steal a few sts from the heel and work it over 36. that st. pattern doesn't look very adaptable. Then you can return to 33/33 for the leg.

With a short row heel (that's what the pattern calls for, no?) you'd probably be OK! I think. Good luck!

Dana said...

steal a few stitches from the SOLE is what I meant to say. work the instep over 36 and the sole over 30. Then steal back what you need to for the heel.

Lee Ann Barker said...

I'm doing a sock with a 6 st repeat that requires fudging too. I'm working k1, pattern, k1, and I'll (maybe) increase at the leg.

Gale Bulkley said...

Take the stitches from the sole as suggested. It really won't make a difference to how it feels on the foot. I do this all the time for my friend Pat, who has a really large foot and ankle.

Ana said...

I had to peek at the comments because I love the look of the Snicket socks and I wanted to know what advice you got since I'd probably run into the same problem if I were to have cast-on. Let's all praise wise and knowledgeable friends!