10 March 2009

Springing forward, falling back.

Happy Daylight Saving Time, everyone! As grumpy as I've been the past couple of mornings, I can't help but smile big when I leave work at 5 p.m. and the sun is still shining! (Sort of. It's been kind of cloudy here the past couple days.)

And I finished the first Spring Forward sock.


The yarn is Flat Feet by Conjoined Creations, and I really like it. I haven't started the second sock yet, and I'm considering not winding the flat before I knit it up, like the label says. But let's face it, I will probably wind it anyway, in the spirit of keeping the socks in a similar color progression. I was impressed with how little the yarn pooled, and how little it resembled the hand-painted flat when I knitted it up.

I squeezed in a quick commission project (my first) over the space of a few days last week.


Everyone, meet Westley. He was my favorite stuffed animal when I was a kid, and I'm sure you can guess who he was named after. You can't tell because of the stylish hat he's wearing, but Westley is a giraffe. The hat is a pattern of my own devising, sort of. I saw a similar hat knitted in fingering weight, but didn't have that much time, so I did a bit of math and cast on. It was gifted on Sunday to the cutest pregnant person I've ever seen, my roommate's BFF. My roomie commissioned the hat, and asked me to knit another when the baby comes in May.

As for the falling back alluded to in my post title, I have frogged the Victoria Yoke pullover. It was tight enough that it made me self-conscious, and even wearing it for a few minutes to model it, the high collar really irritated my neck. The yarn isn't terribly itchy, but it's fuzzy enough that I think it would give me trouble right up against my neck like that. So I hitched the sweater up to the ball winder and let 'er rip. The yarn has been repurposed already, for a Gathered Pullover, and I'm taking a break from that yarn to knit a Mr. Greenjeans in (what other color?) green.

2 comments:

Chery said...

Loving that sock. My pair is almost done... just some more leg to use up the yarn.

Just Me said...

I was at this baby shower. I know Pam through Natalie (the momma). These little knitting connections keep popping up with people I know. There were a lot of "oohs and ahhs" regarding the hat. It's very cute. I tried unsuccessfully to make "Baby Hoov" some booties. Currently, I only have the capability to make really ugly ones.