10 December 2008

Actually knitting.

For the first time in several weeks, I actually have the desire to knit. Except it's not so much a desire as it is a panicked frenzy as I realize that I cannot afford Christmas gifts for my entire family unless I knit a few of them. So there it is.

I have a sock that is 99.9% finished (it just needs to have the ends woven in) and its mate knitted. It's a man's sock, for my father, so that will be an undertaking in and of itself — a man's sock, in one week.

I also started something on my lunch hour yesterday — Odessa, by the very talented Grumperina — and have made quite excellent progress on it.

I would apologize for the crap picture, but it's getting late and I'm lazy. I'm using a skein of Dome Hill Worsted weight in "shy violets."

The hat is for my sister-in-law, who lives in Chicago with my dear bother (that's a typo, I swear) and needs winter accessories. Or at least I think she does, because come on, she lives in a really cold, really windy city. So whether she wants them or not, winter accessories! She will also get one of these darling bags, but only one, even though I bought a bunch, because I am selfish and I love them too much to give them all up. (They make great knitting bags. You know, if you're into that sort of thing.)

Anyway, the real question: I have plans to make handwarmers using the yarn leftover from the hat, but I'm not sure I'm going to have to enough to just make them solid. So, your task: find me a good two-color handwarmer/mitten/glove pattern in worsted or aran weight that can be knitted up in very little time. Break! Bring me back mitten treasures, or socks that have a pattern that could be mittens.

I will be a traveling video and knitting library once I get to California, where I GET TO SEE MY AJ!!! And we can be Twilight fangirls, just like we were Harry Potter fangirls in college, when we lived in the box and no one bothered us, except when they realized we hadn't come out of our room for a few days and when they came to visit, they found us surrounded by wool. Piles of it. There is probably is still wool stuffed somewhere in the dark crevices of the sorority house that will never be found until the house is taken apart by a tornado.