08 July 2008

Sock on its deathbed.


DSC02166
Originally uploaded by knitjoknit

These are the first toe-up socks I ever knitted. (Koigu, US 2 DPNs) They went to my mama two years ago for her birthday. She brought them to me this weekend and asked if I could fix them.

What do you think, folks? I have leftover yarn that I could use to knit a new heel, and maybe do some sort of slip-stitch for reinforcement. I'm not positive of the state of the other sock, but it's not nearly as bad as this one. Is it worth the save, or should I just send them where good socks go to die?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first Koigu socks were that very same colour!

As for fixing.. I would probably just let them go where socks go. But then, I'm lazy. But I feel like taking the time and effort to fix the heel just wouldn't be as fun as knitting a whole new pair of socks, even if the new pair would be more time-consuming.

the Lady said...

I'd save them, but I'm all about saving all that hard work (takes me 30 hours for a pair.)

What about picking up and knitting a new heel in? Or at least just ripping down to where you can get live stitches, and start afresh from that point?

If it were me, I'd either see if I could p.u.&k a new heel in, leaving the rest of the sock alone, or I'd rip down to just before where the heel should be, do waste yarn where the heel stitches are going to go in, re-knit the cuff, and then put in the afterthought heel. That way all you ever have to do in the future till the rest of the sock wears out is just rip out the heel and put in in over and over again. I'd do it in a different color of course, to make it easy.

I suppose it just depends on how much work you want to do, and how thrifty you are. And maybe how much she loved the color. Good luck!
Good luck!

Gwen said...

I'd let them go where all wonderful, well loved socks go to die and immediately cast on a new set for her to love anew...how much more fun is it knit new socks.

Gwen

Vanessa said...

I say go for a new pair. BUT, incorporate pieces of the old sock into some else...a doll, a pocket on something, purse handle, hair scrunchie...who knows? I get a bit attached to things I worked so hard on. This way it will still have a life; in fact a NEW life!

Anonymous said...

This might be a nice excuse to make her a new pair.