18 March 2008

So excited.

So I was laying in a heap on the couch last night watching Harry Potter 5 (instead of going to the guild meeting) and I have found my Dream Project.

Now, people, I love Neville. Passionately and totally. He is 100% completely my favorite character in Harry Potter. I just want to hug him. All the time. If he were a real person, I would totally want to date him.

And I want to date him even more, just so I could steal this sweater from him and wear it around Hogwarts. It is totally an old man sweater, and I love love love it. I am going to knit one, even though I have 1. never knitted colorwork, 2. never knitted a cardigan, 3. never steeked anything in my life and 4. never created a chart from a pixelated, low-res screenshot that I had to trick my Mac into taking. None of that is important, though. This sweater will be mine.

I am doing more than just planning knitting. I managed to reknit the body of the Cosy V-Neck and start a sleeve. Just in time for spring, right? A wool/llama sweater — just what everyone wants in mid-April. I only put 3 inches of ribbing at the bottom of the body. I'm once again magic looping the sleeves. I despise magic loop slightly less than I used to, but I still hate it a whole lot. I do think I'll be really happy with the finished product, even though I won't be able to wear it until autumn.

I wore my Gathered Pullover today. I still haven't taken FO shots of it, because it's been absolutely disgusting out. Grey, rainy, cloudy, hazy — you name the crappy weather, we've had it. I think I'm going to put crochet seams on the body of the sweater. My gauge was off, so I knitted the medium size rather than the small, and it's slightly too big. I prefer things a bit fitted, and this feels like a shapeless sack. Not to mention the sleeves are too long. But I can deal with that. I just think if it's too big, I'll never wear it, which would be really unfortunate.

And for the grand finale:

It's a little blurry (I don't know what my problem is, today) but this is my latest sock, and I am perfectly giddy over the way it's turning out. It is not pooling, it is not flashing, it is not doing anything that it shouldn't be. It just is. Perfectly handpainted, perfectly springy. The yarn is Sleeping Dragon fingering weight in the Spring Fling colorway (not currently in stock at Simply Socks Yarn Co., my favorite online sock yarn dealer) and I am really happy with how it's turning out. This stuff is soft, people. Really soft. I'm just doing a plain stockinette foot so far. I may do some patterning of some sort on the leg, but it might mess up the beauty of it, so I may leave it plain.

Fact: bears eat beets.

EDIT: Wow, that screenshot looks like serious crap on my work computer. It looked fine on my laptop, I swear! Your settings may vary — just know that it's a really sweet diamond fair isle pattern.

4 comments:

lubke-moss said...

I heart The Office. :) And the sock yarn is beautiful!

the Lady said...

Don't you just love movie sweaters?

Well... you could always re-knit the Gathered Pullover! Blasphemy after all that work, I know, but there it is;-)

bbstewart said...

Neville is a great character. Good luck with the sweater. I love the yarn for those socks too.

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about Neville! I'm relistening to all the books right now. I'm on The Half Blood Prince, which I think is my fav of all the books