25 March 2008

The kindess of strangers.

WARNING: Gushing ahead.

About a year ago, I ordered some Bartlett Glen Tweed 2-ply yarn from kpixie.com to knit the Rogue sweater. (I can no longer find this yarn on the kpixie.com Web site. It can, however, be found at the company's Web site here.) The color is lovat. It's lovely. It's a sort of tweedy aqua with flecks of country blue and grey. I ordered 5 skeins, which according to the pattern, should have been plenty of yarn for the small size. I am rather small-statured and can usually knit the 34-inch size of whatever it is I'm making and it's fine. But then I started to worry. What if I didn't get gauge and had to recalculate? What if I ran out of yarn? How would I get more? What if it wasn't the same dyelot and I had to knit every other row of my sleeves from two balls of yarn so they would match? AHHH!!!

Now, if you know me, you know that I am almost always worried about running out of yarn. Is there a reason for this irrational fear? No. Have I ever actually run out of yarn? No.

When I got my Ravelry invite, I spent a lot of time looking at other people's versions of sweaters I plan to make. (Yes, I have a lot of free time at work.) A while back I was looking at people's Rogue sweaters, and lo and behold, I saw someone (Gale) had made the Rogue sweater with the exact same yarn in the exact same color that I had in my stash and was planning to use. Happy coincidence! I asked what size she knitted, how many skeins she used, you know, the usual knitter talk. She was very friendly and answered all my questions.

A while later, I got a message from Gale, saying she had leftover yarn from the Rogue that she wasn't going to use, and if I wanted it, I could have it. She then declined my offer of payment and shipped me the yarn.

Is that nice or what? I have always believed that knitters are the nicest people ever.

So the yarn came today. And guess what?

It's the exact same dyelot.

Knitters are the best people in the world. Thanks, Gale!

9 comments:

littledevilworks said...

Ooo pretty color. I'm jealous.

And loving the knitting story!

Alyssa said...

love the color and that was really nice of Gale.

And I love watching people rock out in the car too.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! Great story on its own, even cooler than the dyelots matched. :)

Gwen said...

That's awesome!! Love the color.

See you soon.

Gwen

Gale Bulkley said...

Why thank you for the very nice post. I am honoured you thought so well of the gesture to devote some words to it. I am a paranoid knitter and usually waaay over order (lol). It was lovely to be sending it to a good home that could use it. Happy days, Gale

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is absolutely amazing! I just love truth-is-stranger-than-fiction stories. What a really, really, nice thing for Gale to do!

the Lady said...

Whoa! Super amazing cool!

Knit'inCrazee.... said...

Bartlett is great yarn to knit with.

How do you find yarn on ravelry? I'm not too good at navigating my way around there. ANy help would be appreciated..

Love the color!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! how wonderful!