10 March 2008

I *heart* Johnny Depp.

Especially when he's singing my name.



(It's charming, even though he's pronouncing it wrong. Also, there are no throats being slit in the YouTube clip. The gross-out factor is nil. Just pretty singing. Promise.)

Note: Don't go see Sweeney Todd if you don't like blood. I mean, at least it's really fake blood, you know, the kind you mixed up in high school theatre productions with corn syrup and red food coloring. That sort of blood, the sort that looks fake. It's a very Tim Burton-esque film, which means I quite liked it. Plus there's singing. I'm a sucker for musicals. Especially when the heroine HAS MY SAME NAME. That never happens. And there are SONGS sung about her, people. Whole songs, and resprises, and reprises of resprises. I have always been that kid who could never find her name on the keychain board at gas stations when you were on family vacation. So this is a bit of vindication. (Yeah, I had Bob Dylan's Visions of Johanna, but if I were doing the choosing, I'd pick Johnny Depp singing my name any day.)

I started another sweater. It's in black sportweight yarn on a US 4 circ. You are not going to want progress shots of this one. So far I've done 4 inches of 1x1 ribbing. I'm quite pleased with it so far — I learned how to do a crochet provisional cast-on and a tubular cast-on under the tutelage of the brilliant Amber, best LYSO in the metro area. Both very cool methods, which I intend to use proudly: Look, a crochet hook can be used for something besides picking up lost stitches! Who knew?

Purposefully, I've combined two of the most boring things I can think of with this project: 28 total inches of 1x1 ribbing (14 inches for the front, 14 inches for the back) WHILE (here's the kicker) listening to The Lord of the Rings. It's not going so badly — I skip through all the elves' songs and such, to get to the story. I think I'm on the third disk. The only real difference between the book and the movie is that the book takes longer. Months and months longer.

I've also started socks. They are pink and purple and lime green and teal, and I quite like them. The yarn is soft — Sleeping Dragon handpainted — I want to knit springy socks out of it, but I don't want them to pool. What stitch patterns do you use when you don't want your socks to turn into yarn barf?

4 comments:

littledevilworks said...

I just started Pomatomus by Cookie. Haven't done it before so don't know, but fish scales would look great in a variegated. :)

Amanda said...

I loved Sweeney Todd...in that twisted "Stephen Sondheim" kind of way. My boyfriend found it to be really disturbing. I saw it when I was an intern at the Kennedy Center with Brian Stokes Mitchell and Christine Baranski in the lead roles. I loved it.

the Lady said...

I thought Sweeny Todd was a bit gross, but my s.o. loved it. I did like the part where they're on the beach, that was quite funny. I guess the meaty bits really sicked me out. So why in heaven's name would you combine 2 boring activities? Ack, I'd never finish either! Seriously, try out the Amelia Peabody books on Audible by Elizabeth Peters, narrated by Barbara Rosenblat. They are so great! Very funny.

I think people do Monkey for pool-busting. Myself, I just go with the pooling. Also, try varying your stitch count - I notice certain yarn pools for me at certain no. of sts, but not at others.

Amanda said...

Another sweater? Just when I thought you were the "Sock Queen" you are now turning into the "Sweater Queen"! So very proud and jelous of your knowledge of knitting!! I can't wait to learn to make a sweater...some day!