01 August 2011

More seasonally inappropriate knitting.

We are in the middle of an unbelievable heat wave (really -- we are about to hit a solid month since we had temps below 70 degrees) so I'm sure you can guess what I'm knitting, without any trouble at all!

Yep. A wool/alpaca blend sweater. Aran weight. Because there is something wrong with my brain.



Please excuse the absolutely crap cell phone photo. I got this yarn at the Yarn Barn with a birthday gift certificate from Wichita's parents. Yes, my birthday is in September. But I will be in California in September when my birthday actually happens, so I got my present early. Like, really early. Whatever. I love it. The yarn is Rowan Felted Tweed Aran in a lovely plummy color (I like to call it Wildcat purple, but maybe that's just me) and I'm making another Cozy V-Neck Sweater by Stefanie Japel. I have already knitted this sweater (twice, once for me and once for my mom) but this yarn just leapt at me from the sidewalk sale table on a day that was 100 degrees before noon. I got a good deal on it too.

My gauge is off (surpise!) but I did make a gauge swatch, AND I washed it, so I did a little math -- I know, not my strong suit -- and I figured out that I need to follow the directions for a 40-inch sweater in order to get a sweater that is roughly 35 inches. Whether my math is right, of course, remains to be seen.

I'm usually confident about my math regarding socks, which is good because I'm knitting a lot of them right now. I might have 4 different socks OTN at the moment. All but one of them will be knitted to fit my foot. But I figure it's good to mix it up a little bit, right? Keep things fresh?

Or maybe I am just a really, really fickle kntter.

2 comments:

Gale Bulkley said...

You're really brave with all that stuff lying in your lap in this heat. It's a gorgeous colour. I want to follow your example but am furiously knitting winter accessories instead. Because there's nothing like thinking about winter when it is just so stinking hot outside.

Gwen said...

More power to you. I'm sitting with my rayon sweater in my lap that is all sort of lacy looking and I'm sweating to death in the air conditioning. I can't imagine having a lap full of wool. I'm ready to start my winter knitting...I'm just starting with hats and gloves. :-)