24 October 2010

Checking in.

When we last left our heroine, she was making plans to cheat on her current sweater project with a sweater vest without taking the time to swatch. Unsurprisingly, this was an unmitigated disaster.

Eek. That was nearly three weeks ago. I've been surprisingly prolific in the meantime. There's a sweater body currently drying in my shower, waiting for seaming. I finished the first Autumn Leaves mitt, which is my lunch break knitting, and am nearly to the gusset on the second.

IMAG0152

The picture is weird. It's hard to get a decent angle to capture the leaves on the gusset.

My current project is the Carrot Cardigan from the fall 2010 Knitscene, the same magazine (and designer) as the Lettuce pullover. Apparently I enjoy knitting sweaters named after vegetables. I'm using the new Cascade 220 Sport, in the color Lake Chelan Heather (I don't have a ballband nearby and I am too lazy to get up and find one, but I think it's #9451, on the bottom row.) The color was chosen by Wichita, who is patient enough to go to the yarn store with me when I visit, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by his choice. He initially chose two different shades of grey, and when I pointed out that I already have a grey cardigan, he went with the lovely heather green. I really like the yarn, which I expect is very similar to regular Cascade 220, but I don't know because I've never used it. I used just more than 4 skeins for the body (smallest size) and as soon as it's dry I'll seam it and see how it fits. The armholes seemed extremely deep (8 inches), so we'll see. I'm considering knitting the sleeves at the same time.

I'd like to get the sleeves set in at least before Nov. 1, because I'm making plans to participate in NaKniSweMo. I'm unsure what sweater I'll be making, or even what yarn I'll be using, because I am just that indecisive. I had a sweater in mind, the Old Port pullover, but after picking the brain of another knitter (thanks, Teri!) I'm not sure my modifications will go as smoothly as I'd hoped. I love the look of the cables and lace in the yoke, but I think the cabled and ribbed body really distracts from the yoke. Also I hate the way the shaping looks. I want to do the body and sleeves in regular stockinette and then go into the yoke, but that will require (boo) swatching. Any input is, as always, welcome.

1 comment:

Dutch not German is said...

You'll be doing NoKniSeMo while I'm doing NaNoWriMo. I can't wait to see what you come up with for the challenge!