07 October 2010

Cheating.

I finished the body of my Lettuce pullover.

DSC03743

Now on to the collar. I put the sweater on and had my roommate measure around the neckline. She came up with 40.5 inches. Then I took the sweater off and measured the neckline myself. I got 39.5 inches. The pattern says to knit the collar piece to 30 inches. Normally I would just write this discrepancy off as my row gauge being wonky, but the sweater fits otherwise, so I'm not sure what the hell happened. The neckline is a bit lower than I expected. I think I want to put the sweater on and have measurements taken by a third party, preferably a knitter. I'm going to knit the collar before I knit the sleeves because I have limited yarn and I don't mind if the sleeves are a wee bit short.

But of course, before I start on the collar (because I need an accurate measurement before I start, you know) I have started something new.

I'm in a stashdown group on Ravelry, and my goal this month is to knit down 1,000 yards. So I've started a project from Knitting 24/7, the Grandfather Vest. It's been quietly calling my name since I bought the book. I'm using four skeins of Rowan Felted Tweed, and I didn't make a gauge swatch. What can I say? I like living dangerously.

1 comment:

Gale Bulkley said...

Your neckline does look lower than the one in the photo. Can you work out how long that should measure from the schematic. That might give you a better idea of how long to make the collar for yours.