09 August 2010

Knitting goals.

For some reason, lately I've been taking stock of my stash and people, I have realized that I have a lot of yarn. Most of it isn't even on Ravelry. I could quit my job and do nothing but knit and still have a lot of yarn. Now, it doesn't take up whole rooms, or even whole closets in my apartment. (There is a "yarn closet," yes, but there is also a dresser of tank tops, t-shirts and pyjama bottoms in that same closet. So there.) I acknowledge that it could be a lot worse, but honestly? I don't need this much yarn.

So. What does this mean? It means that I need to shop the stash, friends. I'm not going to say I'm quitting the yarn habit cold turkey (cold sheep?) but before I purchase yarn, I'm going to make a concerted effort to ask myself a few questions, such as:
  1. Do I already own something similar to this yarn? This is important because I have a tendency to stick to a general palette of colors, similar fibers and weights. Odds are, if I am standing in a yarn shop, I have something in my stash that is reasonably comparable to the yarn I am currently clutching.
  2. What will I make with this yarn? For sock-weight yarn, the answer to this question has always been easy: you make socks with sock yarn, duh. But I have enough sock yarn to knit ::ahem:: a lot of socks. I am not even sure I could give you a rough estimate of how many pairs I could knit.
  3. Is this really a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to snag this yarn? Aside from situations such as craft fairs and Etsy sellers, the chances of finding this yarn again are probably pretty good. Malabrigo and Koigu are not going out of business anytime soon. (NB: ridiculous sales are exempt from this question — never turn down sale yarn.)
With these simple questions in mind, I feel that I will be able to rein in my yarn acquisition and focus more on the yarn that I already have. While yarn doesn't go bad or lose value over time, the point of having it is to enjoy using it, and I'm not enjoying it if it's all stored in Rubbermaid bins or in giant Ziploc bags, right?

So I present to you, dear readers, my grand plan for the rest of 2010 (I am a fan of the list feature this evening, evidently):
  • Finish my dad's vest. This is important, as it was a Christmas gift for 2009.
  • Finish my Arwen Cardigan. This sweater is about half done. It would be criminal of me not to finish it in a relatively timely fashion.
  • Finish or rip any remaining projects. This does not prevent me from starting anything new, just encourages me to be WIP-free by the end of the year.
  • Devise realistic goals for my knitting in 2011. This is where I'm going to need some help. I'm pretty laid-back when it comes to self-imposed deadlines, but I also want to start to take time to do some things besides knit. I know, shocking, right? But I don't think I've read a book since the last Harry Potter book came out in 2007. It's really difficult for me to convince myself to put my knitting down, get off my butt and go work out. So what are some realistic knitting goals? Four sweaters in a year? Eight pairs of socks in 12 months? In my attempt to knit 12 pairs in 12 months, I became extremely bored with socks, so I think keeping it fresh by rotating projects in and out will help a lot.
Let's be honest: making realistic knitting goals is going to require some input. So, what do YOU think is reasonable for me to attempt on the knitting front in 2011?

4 comments:

Gale Bulkley said...

These are questions I've asked myself from time to time, and have no real answer for them. I know I need to cut down on the knitting and expand my list of activities as well. Wish there were some sage words to pass on...

Teri said...

Great thoughts, Jo! I've been thinking of taking on my stash and WIPs too. Something that seems inspiring is what the Yarn Harlot has been working on this year...her self-made kits. I've been thinking of kitting up certain things that I want to knit so that it's easier to choose my next project. Browse through my "kits" and pick the next thing to work on. Seems simple enough...we'll see if I can stick to it.

Good luck!

Maliase said...

I think you should pick a more open-ended goal, like "try 3 new things". I used to be hooked on socks, then I discovered knitting lace with my sock yarn and I'm hopelessly addicted.

the Lady said...

I found this year that since I was working full time, my knitting goals got a lot smaller. Ripping out is a nice one - frees up so much mental space! For me, this year has been socks and trying to finish up things from last year. Maybe you should work in reverse - plan out what you want to do that is NOT knitting, and then figure when you have time to knit, and then you will see what you REALLY want to knit. And also, stockinette is always great for reading with a book open on your lap. I've finished a lot of socks that way this year.
Dang, I so know what you mean about the stash - so hard to not run out and buy yarn RIGHT NOW!!! when I find a new pattern I like, or a yarn I love is on sale. But my god, I really need to be realistic. With the knitting time I have now, I could not buy yarn for 5 years and still have SO MUCH. And I don't even have that much, I just have a lot. It's fun to shop the stash though - sort of saves you money, which is fun. I really got a kick out of not paying another 30 bucks to knit my friend a pair of socks for her birthday. That was kind of awesome.