24 November 2009

Opinions, please.

A knitter plans to knit a sweater vest for her father. The pattern is written in pieces, but the knitter would like to knit the sweater in the round. The cast-on number for the front and back of the sweater is 152 sts each. The knitter can either seam the pieces of the sweater, or cast on 300 sts in tubular cast-on. Which option is less likely to make the knitter completely crazy?

Discuss.

7 comments:

Gale Bulkley said...

Other than the no seams thing, are there compelling reasons to knit the vest in the round? Is it colourwork?

Chery said...

Of which knitter do you speak? Need to talk? email me....

Anonymous said...

YOu shouldn't have a problem. Just make sure you put a marker at each side.

Lynn

Lee Ann Barker said...

I say knit it in the round! The tubular cast-on might take forever, and may be a pain, but would seaming it be more of a pain? I'd do it, but I hate purling. ;)

Connie said...

I'd do it in pieces rather than the tubular cast on. With a vest, the seaming is pretty minimal (no sleeves), and you can put the shoulder stitches on holders and Kitchener them like the toe of a sock if you want a little challenge.

AJ said...

In the round. Just make sure you use lots of stitch markers.

the Lady said...

Cast on all the stitches at once. It's really not that bad. It will take much less time and effort than a nice seaming job.