I took pictures of my new socks. (Ignore the pasty legs — it's winter, give me a break.)
The pattern is Badcaul and I used two skeins of Koigu and US 1 DPNs and I LOVE THEM. They are squooshy (not to be confused with SMOOSHY!) and soft and warm. The slipped-stitch cable pattern is addictive and I think I am going to use it in a pair of legwarmers in worsted weight. I used almost every bit of yarn in the skein for these socks. I have enough left for mending, when that day comes.
These socks remind me of late summer, when the sky is always brilliant blue and colors seem to be brighter, and every fruit and vegetable you can name is in season at the farmers market. Every time I picked these up, I found a different color that was my "favorite." Sometimes it was lemon yellow, sometimes it was amber gold, sometimes it was rosy pink.
I will definitely knit these socks again, but if you have larger feet than I do (which isn't saying much; I wear a US women's 7.5 to 8 shoe, and I have skinny feet and and ankles) I would recommend using a larger needle or adding pattern repeats. It's only a 60-stitch sock, which is fewer stitches than I normally use, but the cabled ribbing is quite stretchy, and so they fit me, but getting the leg over my instep is a bit of a squeeze. I will never put these socks in the washer.
In the interest of saving time, I'm going to knit my mom a new pair of handwarmers for her birthday. I have two skeins of an aran-weight cashmere blend and was thinking of doing something cabled, but can't find a pattern that pleases me. Now taking recommendations.
3 comments:
Why not make a pattern up? My favorite handwarmer (second one unfinished, hee hee)is one where I did ribbing for the cuff, then picked a cable I liked for the back of the hand, and did moss stitch on the palm and the rest of it. And it fits swell, because I fit it as I went.
Wow, those socks are bright! I envy you their Koigu smooshiness. :-)
That's nice you ripped those sweaters, it always feels so good to rip and know that you'll have yarn you can use for something more you.
Love those socks! They DO look like late summer!
Did you knit those things overnight? It seems like you just cast on for them. They're gorgeous.
Post a Comment