01 January 2012

Decisions, decisions.

I cast on a swatch for Zephyr. I'm using some stash yarn, Crystal Palace Merino 5 in snow white, a nice cream color. I tried both a US 8 and a US 9, swished it around in the sink for a minute and laid it out to dry. When I went to measure, I came to the point where I have to make a decision.

On a US 9, I got a perfect 4 sts/in. On a US 8, I got juuuust more than 4 sts/in -- it turned out to be 16.5 sts to 4 in. So we're talking 1/8 st/in over on gauge. With creative blocking, I can get the US 8 swatch to 4 sts/in, and I vastly prefer the hand of the fabric of of the US 8 over the US 9.

What should I do? I have the absolute exact amount of yardage for my size -- 1100 yards, so fudging the gauge and knitting the sweater isn't really an option. I have some other yarn I could try making a swatch with, but I really like the look and feel of the fabric.

Help!

3 comments:

Gale Bulkley said...

Wish I had some wise and sage advice but I am brain dead.

Connie said...

If you really vastly prefer the fabric on the 8, then I'd say use the 8. In the end, you have to love the fabric, or you won't wear the garment.

Ana said...

You could go with the 8 and see what happens. Do it on the 9s and then you might not like the feel of the finished garment. If you go with the 8s, I recommend a Plan B if you risk running out of yarn such as: shortening overall length a smidge, 3/4 sleeves if need be OR contrasting color on trims. Fingers crossed it works out perfectly.