22 January 2012

It must be love.

Hmm, so it's been a solid 3 weeks since I last blogged -- sorry about that. I was felled by a nasty cold (caught from Wichita, wasn't it nice of him to share?) and I spent part of last week away at a conference for work. In the meantime, I have had terrible startitis, which is actually awful this time because I have a Very Important Project in the works and I'd like to get it done for Valentine's Day.


Even though he gave me a terrible cold, I am knitting socks for Wichita. They were supposed to be his Christmas present, but I had a couple false starts -- first they ended up being HUGE, then I didn't have the striping pattern right. I am finally at the point where I feel they will be mildly interesting to blog about. Wichita is special in the fact that he tends to have trouble finding store-bought socks that fit him. This is not that surprising, considering that he wears a men's US size 14 shoe and we have found that most socks at department stores top out at a men's 12 1/2. He has socks that fit him, but they are mostly plain, grey and black, with zero potential for fun socks. 

So this is where I come in.

He chose navy and green stripes for his socks, and I am concerned that I might run out yarn because his feet? His feet are A FOOT LONG. 12 INCHES. (I wish there were a way to capitalize numbers.) He was a bit disappointed that the stripe ratio on the foot is not quite what he had in mind, but I told him that if he intended for the entire sock to be 2 navy stripes to 1 green stripe, he should have mentioned that when I bought the yarn. In any case, the foot part will be in his shoe and no one will see, so I told him to get over it.

The only issue I have with these socks is that they're rather boring. Now that I'm past the heel turn, I think it will pick up and go more quickly, with the added benefit of knowing how many stripes it will take to get to the gusset and so on for the second sock. Next time we're going to do a patterned sock -- something with cables, or alternating knits and purls, and I can just get 800-odd yards of one color and have enough leftover for a pair of socks for me.

Yes. I said 'next time.' Clearly I am a sucker for this guy. But I don't mind so much. I'm actually quite fond of him.

3 comments:

Gale Bulkley said...

Nice colour selection on W's part. Glad they are not black and grey.

Teri said...

They are looking great. I'm sure he will be most appreciative!

Julianna said...

Aww, that's true love and some good looking socks!