30 November 2011

Staggering across the finish line.

Well, I did it -- I finished my NaKniSweMo Challenge to myself. Knit a sweater in 30 days. It's done. But I'm not 100% happy with it, so it needs to have some minor surgery before I show you proper pictures.

The armholes and upper sleeves are way. too. tight. It's difficult to get the shoulders to sit right if I'm wearing a shirt that has any sleeves. So I'm going to rip them out. And start over. I'll pick up more stitches at the underarm and see if that helps. I'm hopeful it will. Otherwise, I am quite pleased with it. The length is good, the yarn is soft and I love the color.

My newest knitting obsession: fair isle. I want to knit ALL THE THINGS that are fair isle. I got about halfway through a hat before realizing my gauge was WAY off -- about 12.5 sts/in to the designer's 11 sts/in. It's only about 16 inches around and I don't know anyone whose head is that small, so it will probably get ripped out because the yarn is 100% baby llama and let me tell you, it is dee-lish. I think the solution to my problem is bigger needles. I'm extremely happy with my tension and the way the floats are carried on the wrong side, so I think I might end up being pretty good at this. Which is a good thing, because fair isle patterns are crowding my brain to the point where everything else on the needles has been completely derailed.

No comments: