12 October 2011

Planning ahead.

I've got some tentative goals for my knitting life in 2012, and I am SO EXCITED. I've been knitting since November 2003 (8 years next month!) and in all that time, I feel like I haven't really challenged myself as a knitter.

So I've decided on four techniques* that I either haven't tried, or haven't tried in depth, to attempt in 2012.

First, cables. I have some experience with cables, but nothing terribly advanced or in-depth. So in the first quarter of the year (January-March) I will be working on complex cables. My mom was nice enough to get me this yarn for this sweater for my birthday. I chose a nice greenish blue color (surprise; it's called verdant, if you're curious) and am really looking forward to using the yarn. It's really surprisingly soft, if you haven't had to opportunity to feel it, and it's 100% recycled. Originally when I saw this yarn, I was a bit squicked out by the thought that it was recycled yarn, but when I read a little bit about the process, I realized it's actually pretty cool. I have some other plans for cabled projects, but that's the big one and definitely the most complex.

Second, lace. I've done lace socks and a bit of lace here and there, but my issues with counting have prevented me from successfully finishing a lace shawl. No more. I have stitch markers and a row counter, and I am a force to be reckoned with. Between April and June, I'd like to knit Rock Island and maybe Haruni (I'm really irritated that link goes to KnitPicks; it's still a free download, but it's available through Ravelry too.) I know neither of those patterns are really especially challenging, but I'm trying to be realistic here. I don't expect to be able to knit a Niebling right off the bat.

Third, colorwork. I want to try stranded knitting and I am open to the idea of intarsia, although I'm not convinced I can find a pattern outside of argyle socks that I like enough to knit. My new favorite pattern book, Vintage Modern Knits, has a pair of legwarmers that I am swoony in love with. I saw them and immediately, into my mind's eye, popped a pair of grey legwarmers with the colorwork in Noro. I'd also like a pair of mittens and a pair of socks between July and September.

Finally, STEEKING. I've found two patterns that I really like that both require steeking, a vest and a boatneck pullover. I'm really excited about both, and I'm not sure that I'll be able to wait until October to knit them. I admit I'm a little terrified to think about cutting my knitting, I know I have lots of knitting friends both virtually and in real life who will offer support and advice and hand-holding (and booze) if I should need it.
*If you know me, or have read this blog for any amount of time, you will know that I love lists. I love making a plan, even if I veer wildly from the original idea when it actually comes time. I hereby add this disclaimer that even though I have broken my techniques up by quarter, I reserve the right to mix it up a little and knit things in whatever order I darn well please.

2 comments:

Gale Bulkley said...

Those are ambitious and totally achievable goals Jo. As for keeping track of row counting in lace, I tie off a length of yarn in a contrasting colour the row before the beginning of the pattern repeat. Every 5 rows, I move it to the other side. This has been a lifesaver in times when I forget to click the row counter, or otherwise mark my place. It is also useful on a project you might put down for a while and working out your position will be a PITA when you come back to it.
I like planning ahead too.

ChelleC said...

Good for you about setting knitting goals for '12. They sound like ones that will add some spice and new fun back into the knitting life. I haven't seen you in a while but have enjoyed your projects. The cute baby is lucky to receive your knitting gifts!