06 April 2009

Airplane knitting.

I'm taking a little (well-deserved) vacay this weekend to see my parents (and my dog!) for Easter. This means I have two four-hour flights, plus waiting in the airport time, riding in the car time, and sitting around watching TV with my dog time.

I cannot decide what knitting to take.

My immediate thought was socks. Of course. I have loads of gorgeous sock yarn I could use, and with a really basic pattern, I could finish a pair over a weekend, no sweat, with all that time sitting around. (I've been coveting another pair of Pretty Pretty Princess socks, because they were SO FUN to make. Even if they were top-down.)

I am a rather diminutive person, so my next thought was a sweater. I am woefully behind on my original plan to knit 12 sweaters in 12 months. I was not factoring in a move when I made this plan, but April could be my catch-up month. If I knit a sweater in California, and then another at the guild's retreat next weekend, I could almost be caught up. (I'm thinking springy sweaters, short sleeves, maybe a bit of lace here and there — think Green Gable or maybe something a little heavier, like Gatsby Girl. Or the sweater that I re-cast on in a fit of pique: the Gathered Pullover.)

And then I got sidetracked by the idea of a challenge. I've been meaning to make the Little Arrowhead shawl for some time now, and I have a skein of Handmaiden Sea Silk just waiting for the job. Or Laminaria, which I have some Malabrigo Laceweight for. Or just a good ol' Clapotis, in fantastic-as-always Koigu. (All links to Ravelry. If you're not on Ravelry, what are you waiting for?)

HELP ME.

(Apologies for the horrifying lack of pictures lately. I seem to have misplaced my camera in the move, and my phone just doesn't take good pictures without excellent lighting.)

5 comments:

Gwen said...

That's hard. My vote is for 2 projects. Green Gable and the Pretty Pretty Princess socks. You need a sweater to start off the summer and I love green gable. The socks are for when you need a change.

Have a great time.

Gwen

Christine said...

Happy Flying! Hug your dog for me!

the Lady said...

I say socks and Laminaria. That's what I would choose if I were me. You know.

Teri said...

I think your camera bag got put in one of the suitcases. If your camera was actually in your camera bag that is!

Maliase said...

I vote for Green Gable- I love mine and I wear it a lot (it layers really nicely with long-sleeved things in the winter, too). Circular needles should keep it compact enough for airplane knitting, though the endless mile of stockinette in the round for the torso of the sweater might make you want to take along something more complex as well. (I guess Gwen already said that. I agree with Gwen on all points.)