I've been sort productive in the month of September.
Unfortunately, I've produced a series of single socks (and one legwarmer), so there haven't been any actual finished objects. I didn't realize quite what I had done until I stacked them up like this. I think you'll agree I have a raging case of second sock syndrome.
We'll start at the bottom and work our way up.
First, the second pair of socks for Wichita, who did in fact choose that yarn. It's Nerd Girl Yarns Heart You in Blue Box Exploding, a reference to an episode of Doctor Who. I used the tried-and-true Gentleman's Fancy sock pattern from Knitting Vintage Socks. I used some leftover Cascade Heritage Sock in navy for the heel and cuff because even though the skein is a generous size (almost 500 yards!) his size US men's 14 feet make me nervous about running out of yarn. I have yet to cast on this sock's mate.
Next, a pair of socks for my mom in Knitpicks Felici sportweight. I have to admit, I was impressed with how soft this yarn is. I used a US 1.5 (2.5 mm) for this and the first sock knitted up in less than a week. They're a plain 2x2 rib because I didn't want the yarn to distract from any patterning or vice versa. The mate for this sock needs to be started as well.
Third, a legwarmer in Malabrigo Finito, a lovely soft yarn that I just couldn't say no at my LYS' 25th anniversary sale. I got some kickass riding boots for my birthday, so I wanted to knit adorable legwarmers to peek out the tops when I wear a skirt. I was going to actually use a pattern for this, but I threw caution to the wind and just cast on 64 sts on a US 4 (3.5 mm) and started knitting. I knit almost until I ran out of yarn, so the first one is about 18 inches long. I have started the second legwarmer, but haven't made much progress so far, even though it's my on-the-go knitting project.
The next sock is also for my mama, a brioche rib pattern that I kind of made up. I'm using Knitpicks Imagination sock yarn, a blend of 50% merino wool, 25% alpaca and 25% nylon. This is a really nice yarn. The alpaca gives it a halo and makes the socks incredibly soft. I think I'm using a US 0 (2 mm) for these, because the fabric is really dense, hopefully giving my mom a bit more wear out of them until she walks through the bottoms. The second sock is on the needles and is being worked in fits and starts. I'm probably about halfway to the gusset.
Last (but not least) a pair of socks for ME! I'm using the Stepping Stones pattern from The Knitter's Book of Socks, which is supposed to be knitted in a worsted weight yarn, but I'm using smaller needles (US 1.5 again) and Malabrigo Arroyo to get a sock that can be worn in shoes. This yarn is also decadently soft and I can't wait to wear these when it gets to be chilly outside.
In other news, I have a dreadful case of startitis, which is probably evident from all the single socks you see above. I want to cast on for ALL THE SWEATERS, because something deep in my brain knows that winter is on the way -- after near-80° temperatures for the next couple days, the projected high for the end of this week is in the 50° range. So it's finally time to start breaking out the knitwear!
No comments:
Post a Comment