08 August 2012

Ravellenic Finish line!

Tonight I crossed not one, but TWO finish lines for the Ravelympics Ravellenic Games! My first entry was Strago, from The Knitter's Book of Socks.


I used two colors of Knitpicks Chroma Worsted, cream for the solid and gossip for the lovely pinks and purples. Since the yarn was worsted weight, I used US 5 and US 7 DPNs to knit these socks, and they are warm and cozy and they will keep my feet warm in winter. Of course I made them toe-up, so I just flipped the chart, although I don't think it would have mattered if the pattern went the opposite direction. The chart was easy to follow and I eventually memorized it.

Since I know knitters are a nosy bunch, here's the wrong side of the knitting:


This is one of my first colorwork projects, and I'm quite pleased with the tension of my floats. I turned the socks inside out to show Wichita and he was not nearly as impressed with my knitting skills as I was. Hmph.

The other finished project was a WIP that has been languishing on my needles for more than a year. My dear friend Tim brought me two skeins of Brooklyn Tweed Shelter in the color button jar that I used to knit (what else?) a Koolhaas hat, which is part of a huge inside joke I won't detail here, but suffice to say, I love the yarn, I love the color, I love the pattern. I'd post a picture, but I was so excited the toss it into the sink with some Kookaburra (which I also love unconditionally) that it's just a wet heap on the drying rack at this point so I'll spare you and take a picture when it's dry.

Mostly I find it entertaining that I am knitting winter accessories when it's been hitting 100° F (37° C, give or take a few tenths of a degree) on a regular basis this summer. Next up: fingerless mitts to match the hat.

2 comments:

Gale Bulkley said...

I love those sock Jo, and congratulations on reaching the finish line twice. Now is the time to knit winter accessories - they don't sit in your lap.

Tim said...

Lovely floats, my dear...and I can't wait to see the hat!