07 May 2012

April recap

Apologies for the long silence, friends. April was not a month for knitting Chez Jo, and I have the WIPs to prove it. But I do have at least one finished something to share, and they have been a long time in the works.


Wichita's socks are finally, finally complete. It is a testament to how much I like him that they are actually finished, 6 months later. I am the sock model in these photos, which is why the socks look laughably oversized.


They are so large it is almost silly. No one should have feet that size. Admittedly, my feet are rather smaller than average, but his feet are actually a foot long. A solid 12 inches. But because I like him quite a lot, and I understand that it must be frustrating to be unable to buy socks that fit properly, I have finished these AND cast on a new pair.

The wool for the new pair is from Nerd Girl Yarns, who was an incredibly popular vendor at this year's Knitting in the Heartland, a biennial knitting convention hosted by the Sunflower Knitters' Guild. This year's featured instructor was the very charming Franklin Habit, who gave a thoroughly entertaining and educational keynote address on the history of knitting patterns and publishing, as well as teaching four classes in two days. The other breakout vendor of KITH was Hermione Jean Creations, who had a wide array of Harry Potter-inspired yarn, which we all know I am a sucker for. Of course I found other treasures, but those will make an appearance in due time.

Our other big news? Wichita found a job in Kansas City and will be moving here at the end of June! After more than 2.5 years of back and forth, he will finally be here for good. I will be glad because there will be no more nights like tonight, when he drove the hour home in the middle of a thunderstorm warning. It was quite an exciting evening, with the tornado sirens and the flash flooding, so I was relieved that he made it home safely.

No comments: